Can a private person report to a credit bureau if they have a private house mortgage (purchased on contract)?

I purchased my home from the previous owner on contract. I would like this information to show up on my credit report. I believe that a mortgage with 22 months of on-time payments will improve my credit score. Is there a way for the person I have the contract with to report this information to the credit bureaus?

...asked on August 9th, 2011 @ 2:00 pm in Loan - Home

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

only members of the credit bureau can report to a credit bureau.

purchasing a house under contract for deed can be used to assist you in getting credit but by itself cannot improve your credit score unless the seller is a member of the credit bureau.

when you fill out a credit application be sure an included the sellers information so they can be contacted.

...answered by connie m on August 9, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

Good question. Sorry, I not know. It should be possible, may have to contact a Credit Agency. But, the real truth about this, is, it for Banks, not us. Also, the Credit Agencies make money off our Credit and we not receive any Royalty Payments. When the agency reports false information on us, it our responsibility to prove it false at “Our Expense”, when they the ones that should verify, they making the money.
So, odds are, they my not take an individual/private mortgage as it not profit them in any way.

...answered by snagelfritz on August 9, 2011 @ 3:05 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

No and yes.. If there was a mortage on the house with previous owner.. And you were paying him and he was paying them.. Then sometimes the previous owner can contact the mortgage company and let them know your were the one making the on time payments they will list you are make the a note to the credit bureau.. Goodluck

...answered by David M on August 9, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Yes there is a way to do this. (Originally Stated: I am finding out more information and will be back to update my answer…I am setting up a new web page to tell you how to do this. I am setting up a page…This has been on the back burner in my ‘to do list’ so now I’ll finally get this done. Hopefully by the end of the tomorrow I’ll have this web page finished…)

I have done it (10/20/06), created a web page where you can receive Reports designed to meet or exceed the requirements of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and FHA’s guidelines for use of non-traditional credit and may be used when your lender/broker/credit extender can submit this Report along with the traditional credit report. These alternative credit reports have steadily grown and many of the largest U.S. lenders accept them with new lenders added regularly.

I will send the first 5 people who respond (maybe more) a promotional code for helping me work out the bugs and make sure this service is all it is suppose to be which will waive the $ 11.00 enrollment fee.

You can reach this page by going to:

Basically, individuals will demonstrate their fiscal responsibility with information that is not reported to the “big 3”, such as on-time rent and recurring bill payments. ‘ABC Program’ produces a Report and a Score that are used to supplement “big 3” credit bureau reports and scores, or in their absence. A ABC Program Report and Score can show that an applicant has paid their bills on time, consecutively, for up to the past three (3) years. Like other credit bureaus, ABC Program maintains bill payment history on file for seven (7) years.

Don’t hesitate to call me with any questions. Hope this helps!

Elise Altergott, Principal Broker
Associate Mortgage:
Associate Consulting:

...answered by Florida Mortgage Broker on August 9, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Has has been previously stated a private person cannot REGULARLY report to a credit bureau and in turn a credit report.

Most credit companies will list a private mortgage for a one time update, but again since the private party cannot do a monthly update said information will not remain on the report.

So you have two options:

1). Have the credit company (this is the name of the company on the report itself NOT the three bureaus) contact the seller directly and confirm the required information. The credit company will then provide your lender or broker with a credit supplement showing the information.

2). If you’ve been paying the contract holder with checks then contact your bank to get cancelled copies of those checks. This is actuall the BEST way from a lender’s standpoint of proving your history.

Someone mentioned having the contract holder contact the mortgage company and tell them that you have been making the payments – I don’t believe this would be feasible as I have NEVER seen it happen, but I could be wrong.

...answered by scottishhaig on August 9, 2011 @ 4:12 pm

Answer This Question

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Please note that answers are heavily moderated to maintain a high quality level within this site. Quality answers will appear much quicker than low quality answers. Thank you.