ciara fan

Can I sue a hotel for charging my credit card?

I stayed at a hotel and paid cash but the hotel claimed they needed a credit card on file for the hotel stay to reserve the room and for security purposes. When I left the hotel I paid cash so they wouldn’t charge my card, later I found out that they did charge my card over 11,000 causing my account to be overdrawn and they claim it was a system error. They credited my bank account back however two days later the charge appeared on my bank account again. They have not credited me again for this error. I had bills I made payment arrangements for and all got declined due to their system error and overdrawing my account. If this did not happen I would have had enough in my account to pay my bills. Can I sue them for damages to my account?
How do i go about sueing them? i’m new to this i never had to deal with this kind of stuff before.
No 11,096 to be exact and they said it was a system error but never explained why that amount. I also want them to pay all the overdraft fees they caused on my bank account and they messed up my payment arrangement on major bills i needed to pay. All money in my account is being frozen until this matter is taken care of so its like i don’t have any money. It is a bank check card which can be used as a debit or credit card.
I am working with my bank to handle this but it could take up to 10 business days…i have no money until then..and bills to pay…its not fair i should have to suffer for a error made by the hotel…the bank is not even really caring about my situation and will not release my avaialble funds to me.

...asked on August 14th, 2011 @ 8:00 am in Credit Card - Cash Back

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

They charged you $ 11,000?!?! Hell yes. Sue them now!!!

EDIT: To sue them, call a lawyer. He or she will take care of the rest.

...answered by Jonah on August 14, 2011 @ 8:03 am

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

Same thing happened to me (sort of)
I got double charged but it was no where near 11,000. (is that a typo?)

Was it a credit card or debit card? With a credit card you should be able to call you card company and file a complaint and tell them that you were wrongly charged, they will remove the amount from your account and they will file a report with the hotel and will call the hotel and take care of everything. Hopefully you have a receipt of the cash payment, the card company may need a scan of that.

You shouldn’t need to sue unless you card company charged you for overdrafting and will not reimburse you those fees.

Call your card company, they should be able to take care of everything. They even might be able to assist you on further action such as a lawsuit.

...answered by neomishmoo on August 14, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

sue them..

...answered by Felix on August 14, 2011 @ 9:05 am

Answer This Question

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Please note that answers are heavily moderated to maintain a high quality level within this site. Quality answers will appear much quicker than low quality answers. Thank you.